Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What was I thinking?

If you are enrolled to AP Biology, it's no doubt that you are a hardworking student. AP Bio is no joke, kids. If you think this is one of those classes where you skate by by copying answers...think again. But I don't think I have to worry about that, you signed up knowing it was a more challenging class. So I have full faith in you that you will do great! If you haven't read the rest of blog posts (YOU SHOULD!!!), my name is Liz, or 'Barber', and I am a senior this year. I wish that I would have had some serious advice when joining this class, so I hope that mine will be beneficial for you. Enjoy!


Top 5 Tips for an AP Bio Student

  1. Take good notes. I know, it seems like a super easy tip that you are already accustomed to. I was there once, and when I say take good notes, I mean it. The stuff that you will see on the PowerPoint's are important, yes, but if you waste all your time writing down every word you see, you will miss the important stuff. The stuff being said. The things that are said out loud are more often than not the same things you'll be writing anyways, but they will be explained more than the few words in the bullet points. Take note of what you hear, not just what you see.
  2. Ask questions. Seriously. If you are anything like I was, you might not like asking questions because you may fear that people will think that you are dumb. Come on, you know you aren't! Asking questions is not a show of stupidity, but rather a sign of wisdom. Asking questions is the only way to expand your knowledge. Especially in this class. If you don't understand, shoot that hand up as fast as it can go. It will never be answered if you don't open your mouth and ask.
  3. Open your book. Read it. Make minor notes of it. Do the reading guides. Open, read, do. I'm not kidding. When I first entered the class and looked at those text books, I thought to myself: "Self, no way are you ever..EVER..carrying that thing around. Nor will you ever open it. You can find the same stuff online." And let me tell you,  I was wrong. (You won't see me saying that again!!!) The book will be your life-line when it comes down to the study and reading guides. Along with reading, STUDY STUDY STUDY, even if you think you don't have to because you never have had to in any other class- study. You'll thank me later for yelling. (well...writing in caps lock).
  4. Take deep breaths. I remember getting this little piece of advice from my mom. I remember her telling me, and the look I gave her. Like, seriously mom? I know how to breath. I just laughed off her advice like it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. (Sorry, mom). But then, I tried it. Just try it for me now... take a nice deep breath and let it out slowly. It is super duper relaxing, right? And if you say it isn't. you're a liar. This class WILL get overwhelming, and frustrating, and all other negative emotions.. Yes, you will get angry at this class. But when you get to that point where you just want to break down and cry. Take some nice deep breaths, and laugh a little, then take another big breath. After all, it isn't the end of the world. You'll be fine. (Just don't give up. Quitting is for losers.)
  5. Have fun. I know, sounds weird after I just got done saying how you're going to cry.. but seriously. This class was one of my favorites out of my whole high school career. Every now and then I thought, "What was I thinking????" But it's all worth it in the end. I laughed more than I cried, in fact I laughed every day. The labs in this class are very interesting and fun. (Just a quick side note, during one of the labs we had a giant pool of water and my group decided to let me pour it out all by myself. Let's just say that water went everywhere and many trees were killed with the amount of paper towel used to clean it up.) (In another lab, we had to grab toothpicks with our eyes closed.. the amount of "ouch"s heard was just hilarious!) The conversations you will have will be memorable, trust me. The projects you will do, will test you. You will be forced to be funny, creative, and make it seem like you know what you're talking about. (If you haven't yet, check out the rest of my blog to see some of the videos for one of my projects. Great stuff..) Don't be afraid to laugh and be relaxed in this class. Having fun is just as important as hard work. (Just find the right balance.. :D).
If you made it to here, congrats. I like to write a lot. Following is a short list of things you will get out of this class, and I'll end it there. No worries.

Top 10 Things You'll Get From this Class

  1. Leadership skills
  2. Study habits
  3. A text book you will actually use!
  4. Knowledge
  5. Friends
  6. A better understanding of life (after all, it is biology!!!)
  7. Time management skills
  8. A new hair style (after you rip all of yours out. OK, just kidding..)
  9. Fun lab experiences
  10. Memories to last (good...and bad)

Beyond all, congrats on taking this class. Try not to sit there and question, "WHAT WAS I THINKING???" That won't solve anything, really. Take deep breaths, and have fun. Seriously, this class is challenging, but this class can also be super fun: as long as you remember to make it that way.

Former AP Bio student (still alive I may add),

Barber


(If you don't understand yet...you will)

4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, your advice was fabulous!

    I'll miss you haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. liz your the best. I have somewhat known you since preschool. Adn this advice (even if it was really long and took me like 10 min to read) was the best I have every gotten about any class at sparta high school. I know you as a straight A student and will take any advice i can get from you. I only wish i coul be as smart as you liz and hopfully using the tips like taking deep breaths will help me get through this class. I have take hard classes before and I lived and im sure i will live through this one too but I will look better coming out comapred to other people because of your amazing advice :)
    Thanks!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake-

      Thanks for me sound so great!!! It really means a lot to me that you actually sat through the whole thing and got something out of it. The fact that you sat through and read all of it assures me that you will do great in any class you take! Regardless of the difficulty level. (: you're going to great in this class and I urge you to take AP if this is something you are serious about (science of life and what not). And if you're ever struggling...with anything...you know my information to get a hold of me. (:

      Delete
    2. Also....this advice can carry into any class... haha (:

      Delete